Slow Cooked Oxtail Stew That Doesn't Require Any Cooking Skills
How to make oxtail stew with almost no involvement
- 2 oxtail pieces
- 4 carrots
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250 ml tomato juice
- 250 ml apple cider
- 1 rosemary stem
- 1 thyme stem
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Crockpot or a cast iron pot
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
When it comes to oxtail stew recipes there some very popular one out there. You have Jamaican style, you have a Chinese style. You even have the classic Italian Osso Buco recipe.
However, for today, I have prepared a beautiful oxtail stew, slow cooker style. Anyway, I will tell you also how to make oxtail stew by simply using a cast iron pot and your oven. This being said, let's start!
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Coat the oxtail pieces in it and let it sit at room temperature while you handle the vegetables.
- Peel and clean the carrots. Chop them along with the celery into 1-2 cm thick chunks. Put them at the bottom of your cooking dish.
- Take the pan and cook the meat for 2 minutes on each side.
- You want only to give it color and not cook it through. Place the oxtail on the veggies.
- In the same mixing bowl you've seasoned the meat, pour the tomato juice and the apple cider. You want to take all the seasoning that was left behind. Add the flour and the fresh herbs.
- Mix well to dissolve all the flour and transfer it to the cooking dish.
- As I said initially, this slow-cooked oxtail stew can be prepared using a slow cooker machine or a cast iron pan. If you use a Crockpot or any other similar devices, let it cook on low heat for 8 hours. If you cook it using your oven, then preheat it at 160 degrees Celsius (320 F) and let it sit there for 6-7 hours.
- That's it. You can serve it with your favorite mashed potato recipe, or you can make a nice polenta.
The reason why I think this is the best oxtail stew is that it requires no cooking skills, and you don't need to take a look at it every single hour. You just let it do its magic and simply eat it when ready.
The oxtail stew calories are listed below, and as you will see, it is actually a healthy meal. This being said, I hope you will prepare it. If you are not a beef kind of person but want a slow-cooked meal, you can check out our Slow Cooked Doro Wat, which contains chicken.
* You can add more veggies or seasoning to the dish if you feel like it.
** If you want to prepare the stew for more than 2 people, just increase the proportions.
*** Don't forget to tag us on Instagram when making this recipe
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 517
- Total Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 125 mg
- Sodium 2024 mg
- Potassium 1772 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46 g
- Sugars 31 g
- Protein 42 g