Healthy and Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe
Best Salisbury steak recipe for when you want both comfy and healthy
- 500g turkey breast or 500g minced turkey
- 1 slice of bread
- 100 ml milk
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 full egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 400g champignon mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley
- Meat grinder or food processor
- Pan with lid
In our house, we love saucy dishes. And how can we not when they are so comfy, creamy, and delicious? So naturally, when we stumbled upon a Salisbury steak with onion gravy dish, we fell totally in love with it.
Now, as delicious as the original recipe is, I prefer to prepare it slightly healthier. This means that I replaced the meat and kept the consciousness damage to a minimum. And no, I didn't lose its deliciousness along the way.
But before anything else, let's answer one of the most frequently asked questions - what is Salisbury steak made of? Traditionally, it is prepared using beef. So instead of red meat, I decided to go with white and use turkey.
This being said, let's not linger too much on the introductions, and let me tell you how to make Salisbury steak healthier.
- The first thing you will need to do is to soak your bread in milk.
- While this happens, prepare the rest of your patty ingredients. I prefer grinding my own meat. So I grind the turkey breast, parsley, onion, and the drained bread altogether. However, if you don't own a meat grinder or simply don't want to waste time with this part, add the parsley, onion, and drained bread to a food processor. Pulse to turn everything into a paste, then mix it with your minced turkey breast.
- With the mixture done, all you have to do is add the egg, season, and gently mix to combine everything.
I am an egg-white hoarder. So I always have some in my freezer. And for recipes where the yolk only brings fat and cholesterol, I use just whites. But using a whole egg is just as fine.
- Divide the meat mixture into 6 big patties. If you like to make them smaller or shape them like meatballs, that works also.
- Take a wide pan and heat up a tablespoon of olive oil. Place the patties and sear them on both faces for a minute or so. You don't need to cook them.
- When you finish this step, just take the patties out and let them rest on a plate.
- The next step in making this easy Salisbury steak recipe is preparing the gravy. So in the same pan as before, melt the butter on medium heat and then cook the chopped onion and sliced mushrooms. This should take you around 4-5 minutes.
- Add the Dijon mustard and the Worcestershire sauce to the pan and gently stir to combine.
- Next, add the corn starch and stir once again to allow all pieces to be coated in starch.
- Add the minced garlic, then pour in the stock.
I choose vegetable stock as it's healthier. But you can replace it with chicken stock if you prefer.
- I don't add any seasoning at this point as the stock is already seasoned. So just bring the meat patties back into the pan.
- Place the lid on top of it, and let everything simmer on low heat for around 45-50 minutes.
- When it's ready, you just take it off heat, give it a taste, and season it as you like. Garnish it with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve it along with your favorite mashed potato recipe.
Before going to the wiki part, there are a couple of things about this dish that I want to clarify. First of all, in my opinion, the best Salisbury steak recipe is a Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy one. That's why there are a lot of mushrooms involved. However, if you don't like mushrooms, you can add just onions, but increase the number of onions to 4.
Furthermore, this is a recipe that goes amazingly well with a slow cooker machine. This being said, if you want to use your Crockpot for this Salisbury steak, you can. Cook everything as explained above up until you need to add the stock. Transfer the mushroom-onion mixture to the slow cooker, add the stock and the patties, then cook for 5-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high.
Lastly, I know the struggle of cooking Salisbury steak for two. It's a dish that it's best when prepared for more than two people. Now the good news is that it's a great leftover to have in your fridge. You can make a nice eggy breakfast the next morning or serve it with some pasta noodles for dinner.
So basically, this is everything that you should know about this Healthy and Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe. Now regarding its history, you should know that it originated in the US in the late 19th Century. The dish was named after the person who invented it, James H. Salisbury. As I previously mentioned at the beginning of the article, the classic Salisbury steak is made with beef, and what I did here is just a healthier version. But if you want to go with the original, just replace the turkey with beef and the vegetable stock with beef broth.
That's it! I hope that you will try our version of this beloved dish and will give us a tag on Instagram so we can see your feedback.
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 237
- Total Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 62 mg
- Sodium 785 mg
- Potassium 166 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 25 g