Easy Chicken a la King Recipe
Easy Chicken a la King recipe perfect for any comfy weeknight dinner
- 1 chicken breast
- 4-5 mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 300-400 ml milk
- 1 tbsp Marsala wine
- 2 roasted bell peppers
- 200 g orzo pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pot and lid
- Chopping block
When it comes to weeknights, we usually tend to keep things as easy to make as possible. And I am sure that we are not the only ones who come back from work tired and just want to have a quick meal before finishing the day on the couch. However, there are also those days when you had it so hard that you need that comfort meal to make everything a little bit better.
But what if you can mix the two characteristics in one plate? Well, I can tell you that you can do just that by simply preparing this Easy Chicken a la King Recipe. Here is what you have to do:
This first step is optional, but I always prefer using my own roasted bell peppers. However, if you don't have time or simply wish to keep it simple, you can buy already roasted bell peppers. It's up to you if you wish to skip this part or not.
- I usually roast my peppers in the oven, but you can do it on the grill or directly into the flame. Anyway, you want the peppers to get that nice crust. When ready, place them in a pot, top them with some salt and cover them with a lid. Let them rest for 10-15 minutes, then peel the peppers and clean them of their seeds. Place the peppers in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast into small dice pieces. Season with salt and pepper, then grill them until well done and seared on all sides. When ready, let them rest till you finish the rest of the components.
- In a pan, heat one tbsp olive oil; slice the mushrooms and cook them until golden brown on both sides. This should not take more than 3-4 minutes. When they are ready, take them out on a plate and let them rest.
- Return the pan to the stove and heat up the rest of the olive oil and butter. Peel and chop the onion, then cook it on medium heat until translucent. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Then start to slowly pour the milk, stirring continuously to form the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste and let the sauce bubble for a minute at low heat.
- When done, add the Marsala wine, along with the cooked chicken, roasted bell pepper, and mushrooms.
- Mix well and let the aromas blend. Let it cook for a couple of minutes more on low heat before taking off the stove and letting it rest.
- While this happens, prepare the orzo pasta. So how to cook orzo? Well, basically like any pasta. Place a pot of salted water to boil. When it starts boiling, add the orzo pasta to the pot and cook it, following the package instructions.
- At this point, you should be all done and ready to serve. This being said, drain the pasta and place it on a plate. Top it with the creamy chicken and serve.
Now that we are done with the actual recipe let's talk a little bit about this dish. For instance, if you want to know more about the Chicken a la King origin, you should know that it dates all the way back to 1980. Its place of birth was New York, and its father was Chef George Greenwald, who served this meal to a family named King.
The final thing - is orzo healthy? Well, yes, if it's eaten in moderation. It's actually a source of thiamin and niacin.
Anyway, if you don't like this kind of pasta or can't find it, you can serve this Easy Chicken a la King Recipe with either rice or another type of pasta. Either way, don't forget to tag us on Instagram.
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 520
- Total Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 82 mg
- Sodium 653 mg
- Potassium 522 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 46 g