Potatoes, Leeks, and Sausage Combo
Easy dinner with a classic potato, leeks, and sausage combo
- 3 Italian sausages
- 1 leek
- 4-6 baby potatoes
- red chili to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 rosemary stems
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oven-proof dish
- Chopping block
Yesterday morning, I was 100% sure that we will be eating leek and sausage pasta for dinner. I had these amazing Italian sausages, which were perfect for the task.
However, when we got home last evening, we weren't in the mood for pasta anymore.
I decided to keep the main ingredients and make a turnover. I thought of making either a sausage leek casserole or a sausage and leek pie, but that would have required too much waiting time, and we were hungry.
So, I added potatoes to the picture and made a stir fry combo which was fast, easy, and delicious.
Here is what you need to do if you want to do a remake of this recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 F).
- Take your sausages and, with a knife, make small incisions all over their bodies. Doing so will allow them to cook perfectly and take in some of the rosemary's aroma.
- Place the sausages in an oven-proof dish. Drizzle some olive oil on them, and stick the rosemary stems in three of the incisions you've made.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook the sausages for 20-25 minutes or until perfectly cooked.
- In the meantime, put a pot with salted water to boil. Chop the potatoes into big chunks and boil them until fork tender.
- Let's focus on the leek. Make a cut where the leaves start. You will not be using any leaves, so you can discard them.
- Cut the leek into thin slices.
- Heat up a pan and drizzle some olive oil in it. Bring the leek into the pan and let it cook o medium-low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add tbsp of butter at a time. Let it melt while gently stirring. You can now add the red chili. Let everything cook at medium-low for another couple of minutes to take in that beautiful butter taste.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the pan. Increase the heat to medium and let them roast a little—season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Take the dish with the sausages out of the oven and let them sit for a minute or two at room temperature. Serve with the potato-leek stir fry.
As you can see, you can make other delicious meals out of these ingredients and not go only with an almost classic potato, sausage, and leek gratin recipe.
Anyway, now that you know how to make this dish, I want to take a second to talk about Italian sausages. Also known as salsiccia, these sausages are made out of pork and have fennel as their main seasoning.
The recipe for this ingredient goes all the way back to the 5th century BC. However, at that time, the Roman ancestor of this potato, sausage was called lucanica.
* I know that I should not tell you to eat carbs with carbs, but this sausage and leek supper goes amazing with just a tiny mini slice of homemade bread.
** If you don't like sausages, you can use the stir fry and eat it as it is or as garnish for another main course.
*** If you prepare this dish, be sure to give us a tag on Instagram so we can see it.
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 794
- Total Fat 29 g
- Cholesterol 20 mg
- Sodium 813 mg
- Potassium 3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 25 g