Lazy Summer Sponge Cake
Summer cake recipe with mixed fruits
- 8 eggs
- 190 g caster sugar
- 10 g vanilla sugar
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 50 ml rum
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 200 g strawberries
- 200 g apricots
- 200 g cherries
- icing sugar for dusting
- Pie pan
- Standing Mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
There's no secret that I absolutely love to prepare desserts. It is truly the part I like the most from cooking. For me, it doesn't matter if it's a baked chocolaty cake or just an easy cold bowl. I love to play with ingredients and see the end result. However, I would lie if I were to say that summer cakes with fruit mixtures don't have a very special place in my heart.
Truth be told, I find it extremely difficult to be able and stick to just one fruit type when the market offer is so amazingly versatile during this time of year. So whenever I simply can't decide what to buy, I go with this lazy summer sponge cake that is extremely easy to make. It is foolproof and, most importantly, it is delicious.
Without further ado, here is what you need to do.
- Wash your fruits and take the stones out of the cherries and the apricots;
- Place them in a strainer and let them lose their water.
- While this happens, you can focus on making the batter.
- Divide the eggs into yolks and whites. Place the whites in your standing mixer's bowl. Add the caster sugar and the vanilla sugar in there and start whisking at high speed until you reach hard peaks. You will notice that the foam is dense and shiny. That's when you want to stop.
- Turn the speed to low and start adding the yolks one at a time.
- When you finish incorporating the yolks, it is time to bring the salt, flour, oil in and continue whisking. Be advised that the mixer needs to be on low speed, or you will make flour all over your kitchen.
- Mix everything until homogenous and take the bowl off the mixer. Pour the vanilla and the rum, and with a spatula, stir to combine.
- It's time to combine the fruits with the batter. So bring them in and stir everything, carefully not to break the fruits.
- Prepare a cake pan lined with parchment paper. You should use a 40 cm (16 inch) pan or two smaller ones.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake it in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 F) for 30-45 minutes or until the toothpick comes clean.
- When the sponge cake is baked through, take it out of the pan and dust it with icing sugar. Let it cool completely before serving it.
And that's it. This is what you need to do for this summer fruit sponge cake. As for the short history facts, it is believed that the notion of sponge cake was invented by the Spanish people during the Renaissance period. Yet, the initial version only contained egg whites, flour, and sugar. It was only hundreds of years later when baking powder was invented, and that also allowed the addition of butter to the batter.
* You can make this summer cake recipe using any fruits you like. You can also make it using just one type of fruit.
** If you want to prepare this dessert during winter, you can use frozen fruits.
** Don't forget to tag us on Instagram when making this dish.
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 252
- Total Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 123 mg
- Sodium 60 mg
- Potassium 117 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38 g
- Sugars 23 g
- Protein 7 g