Extra-Cheesy Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
Mozzarella sticks recipe made with extra cheese
- 200 g mozzarella
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 egg whites or 2 whole eggs
- oil for frying
- 3 tbsp mayo
- your favorite hot sauce to taste
- Mixing bowl
If you are not new to our website, you know that I love to fry cheese. I even make desserts this way. Just check out our Fried Cheese Balls Called Recipe Papanasi to see what I am talking about.
Anyway, today I will talk about an appetizer that most of us out there really love - fried mozzarella sticks.
I am sure that you might be wondering why my dish is different than all the others out there. Well, because my mozzarella sticks recipe offers an extra cheesy and an extra creamy experience.
I am also sure that some of you would want to know if you could make these little devils healthier by baking them. You could, but for me personally, mozzarella sticks, the oven baked version is not an option.
But let's not over-talk this over, and better, let's discuss how to make mozzarella sticks with another level of cheesy goodness.
- The first thing you will need to do is to grate your cheese. Take a bowl, place the grater in it and start working the mozzarella and the parmesan. I suggest going with the fine grater for this dish, but if you are in a hurry or simply don't have any patience, you can cheat your way and grate it a little rougher. (As you will see in the image below, I actually lost my patience somewhere along the process.)
- When you are done with the cheese, start adding the sour cream. You should add 1 tbsp at a time and stir. This way, you will make sure that all the sour cream is perfectly incorporated.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and leave them aside.
I use egg whites because I am an egg-white hoarder, and I have a dozen packages lying in my freezer from when I make vanilla custards or other egg yolk sauces. And since you really don't need the fat from the yolk for this recipe, they are perfect. However, you can very well use two whole eggs. The result will be the same.
- Take a spoon of cheese composition in your hand and mold it as you seem fit. I like giving them an almost log shape because I find them to be easier to dip in the sauce. Anyway, choose the shape you like.
- Coat them in flour as you go and leave them aside until you finish shaping them all.
- I know that you can make mozzarella sticks without bread crumbs, but I don't like them. They simply don't form that nice crust. Therefore, prepare your breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Take a stick, ball, or whatever shape you decided to give your cheesy composition. Submerge it in the beaten eggs and then roll it through the bread crumbs. Place it on a plate and repeat the process until you finish all your cheesy friends.
- Add the plate with the prepared mozzarella sticks in your freezer and let it sit for 5-8 minutes before frying them. This way, you will give them time to make a golden crust without melting as soon as they reach the hot oil.
- While you wait, you can prepare the sauce. Take another bowl (this is the last one for the day) and pour 3 tbsp of mayo. Add as much of your favorite hot sauce as you like to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat the frying oil. You want it to be really hot. Take the mozzarella sticks out of the freezer and place them in the pan. Fry them for a couple of seconds on each side. You want them to be golden and crispy but not to start melting. 30-40 seconds for a whole piece should do the trick.
- Take them out, put them on a paper to suck up some of the fat, and serve immediately.
As I said at the beginning of the article, this recipe is loved and eaten worldwide. However, it has French origins and dates all the way back to 1393 when a similar recipe was posted in a local guidebook called Le Ménagier de Paris.
Regarding the sauce selection, you will find this dish served with marinara, hot mustard, ranch, bbq sauce, or any other possible sauce. It really depends on people's preferences as the mozzarella cheese sticks go well with almost anything.
Finally, if you are wondering about the mozzarella sticks' calories, they are listed below. This dish is not one that you should eat daily, but trust me when I say that the little cheesy bites are therapeutical from time to time.
* Don't add any additional salt. The cheese is salty enough.
** You can add bits of jalapeno to the cheese composition if you like.
*** Don't forget to tag us on Instagram when making these extra-cheesy homemade mozzarella sticks.
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 499
- Total Fat 43 g
- Cholesterol 51 mg
- Sodium 51 mg
- Potassium 117 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 15 g