Buttery Chicken Liver Pate
Best chicken liver pate recipe made easy
- 500 g chicken liver
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small branch of rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 dry hot chili
- 100 g butter
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 300 ml water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Food processor
- Chopping board
I don't know how liver pate is perceived in your country, but we don't give it the proper respect in Romania. It is considered cheap food that can be found in cans for less than a dollar and is mostly eaten by students.
Yet, I would lie if I said that I don't like eating a can of store-bought low-quality live pate with a crushed onion when going hiking. It simply has that aroma that is very hard to resist.
However, my grandmother used to make me homemade pate in my childhood years, and it was one of my favorite chicken liver recipes. So, I took her indications, made some adjustments, and ended up having the best chicken liver pate recipe ever. No lies about it.
Without further ado, let me teach you how to make chicken liver pate at home and impress your taste buds.
- Melt 60 grams of butter in a pan. Add the rosemary, thyme, and hot chili and let them at low heat to release their essential oils.
- In the meantime, chop the onion and the garlic. Add them to the pan, and let them cook at low heat for 4-5 minutes.
The worst part about this recipe is the liver preparation. It feels kind of gross, but trust me that it is worth it.
- You will need to clean the liver. This means that you will have to remove the connective tissues between the liver lobes. Cut the lobes in 4-5 cm pieces and put them in the pan.
- Add 200 ml of water and season everything with salt and pepper. Bring the heat to medium and let it cook until the water evaporates, stirring from time to time. This process should take around 10 minutes.
- When there is no more water, let the liver char a bit before adding the last 100 ml of water and stir. Let the pan for another 30 seconds to a minute on the heat. You want the water to turn into a sauce. Take it off the heat and let it cool completely.
- You will need a food processor for the next step. Add the cooked liver, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in it.
- Melt the remaining butter. Pour half of it on the food processor and pulse until you get a very fine paste. Taste and add more seasoning if you like.
- Put the pate in a bowl and top it with the remaining melted butter.
- Let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving it.
I don't know if liver pate is a dish very popular worldwide. However, in Eastern Europe is a thing and apparently so is in Scandinavia.
It can be made not only from chicken but also from pork or duck (if you feel fancy). However, don't imagine that using duck liver will give you foie gras. Liver pate is only the poor relative of the classic French dish.
Anyhow, I can promise you that eating this easy chicken liver pate won't make you feel poor at all but actually will help you impress your fancy friends.
* This dish goes amazing with freshly baked bread and juicy tomatoes. However, if you want to go Romanian with this, eat it with a red onion.
** Don't forget to tag us on Instagram when making this.
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 255
- Total Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 1070 mg
- Potassium 428 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 15 g