Autumn Salad with Butternut Squash and Cozy Feelings
Autumn salad recipe perfect for foggy days
- 200 g butternut squash
- 1 red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20-30 g feta cheese
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp sparkling water
- 2 eggs
- 50 g chorizo
- 100 g of your favorite mix salad
- Baking Tray
- Mixing Bowl
- Knife and Cutting Board
- Spatula or Tongs
- Salad Bowl
- Optional equipment:
- Whisk or Spoon
- Oven Mitts
- Fork or Salad Tongs
- Food processor or blender (optional)
When it comes to the autumn season, I have very mix feelings. I love the abundance of fruits and veggies you can get ahold of during this time and of course, I am crazy about its colors. Yet, when all I see is fog or rain for days, I can't really say that I am autumn's biggest fan.
Truth be told, to get pass for those moments with no sun and lots of cold humidity, I need comfort food. But unfortunately, eating burgers, pasta or creamy desserts on a daily basis is not the wisest idea.
This is why, I try to find as many healthy-ish recipes as possible. And with this thought in mind my autumn salad recipe came to be what it is.
So, if you are looking for autumn salad ideas that have the power to lighten up a foggy day, you came to the right place. Let's start!
- Chop your squash into 2-3 cm pieces and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Peel your onion and cut it into horizontal 2 cm thick rounds. Place them along side the squash.
- Season everything with salt and pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. You can even put some hot powders such as cayenne if you want to give them a kick. Drizzle a tsp of olive oil on them and gently massage everything with your hands so the veggies are perfectly coated with oil and spices.
- Bake them at 200 degrees Celsius (400 F) for 20-25 minutes or until nice and golden.
- In the meantime, place a pot of water to boil. When it reaches the boiling point, gently submerge the eggs into the water and boil them for 8-9 minutes. You want your egg yolks not to be super runny, but not to be 100% hard boiled either.
- Next up in line - the chorizo. So, chop it into 1-2 cm pieces and fry it in a hot pan, on medium heat for a couple of minutes or until crunchy.
- When ready, take it off heat and leave it aside.
- Toss the salad mix of your choice into a bowl and rub it with the remaining olive oil and salt. Let it sit to acquire some taste.
- The final step to prepare is my autumn salad dressing. For this you will need a small mixing bowl in which you should combine the mayo with the mustard. Peel and grate your garlic clove in there and mix it in. Finally, add the sparkling water one drop at a time, stirring while doing so. Give it a taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- At this point, if your veggies are baked and your eggs are boiled, you can start assembly your own Autumn Salad with Butternut Squash and Cozy Feelings.
- So, divide the salad mixing between two plates. Top the salad with as much baked veggies as you like, as well as fried chorizo.
- Peel and slice your eggs and bring them to the party.
- Crumble some feta cheese and sprinkle all over the plates along with the pumpkin seeds.
- Finally, drizzle the dressing and eat up.
When it comes to a good autumn salad, butternut squash is a must for me. So, if you want to make any changes to this recipe, I suggest not to mess with this part. You can add nuts, apples. You ca remove the chorizo or make a different dressing that is healthier. But please don't skip the squash part.
Anyway, unless you live on an exotic island and you don't know what a depressing autumn day looks like, case in which I don't like you very much, I am sure that you are struggling with foggy days as well. Therefore, I do hope you will give our Autumn Salad with Butternut Squash and Cozy Feelings a try. Let us know your thoughts about it if you do. We are very easy reachable on our Instagram account.
Nutrition Facts / Serving
- Calories 467
- Total Fat 31 g
- Cholesterol 197 mg
- Sodium 969 mg
- Potassium 557 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 28 g